Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Friday, January 15, 2016

My main new year's resolution this year is to read more

I think I read something like 5-6 books total last year, which is exactly as many as I read as a kid per day while on summer break (and those were fairly large chapter books). Granted, I don't have as much free time, but I've gotten out of the habit of reading in the name of being busy, and that's just wrong, especially for a librarian. I was reading a lot when I first got my Kindle, but I was also waiting at bus stops and while riding, and therefore I had more time to read. So one of the things I did was set up a habit of reading on Habitica. But I found a better way; I've accepted a challenge on Habitica which puts various things like 'read a book you own but have never read', 'read a book you can finish in a day', 'read a book recommended by a friend'--that sort of thing.

I recently read The Epic of Gilgamesh (a book written before I was born), so that's one down for the year. Here are some books I have queued up, in no particular order:
  • Hekate - Liminal Rites A Study of the Rituals, Magic and Symbols of the torch-bearing Triple Goddess of the Crossroads by Sorita d'Este and David Rankine (on my Kindle) (a book I've been meaning to read).
  • The Oversight by Charles Fletcher (a book recommended by my friend, YKWIA).
  • The Library of Souls by Ransom Riggs (a book I own but haven't read).
  • Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (a book I should have read in school).
  • The Sword of Shannara by Terry Brooks (a book I've read at last once).
Other categories in the challenge include:
  • Read a book published this year (may have to wait a bit on that one, since it's the beginning of the year).
  • Read a book you can finish in a day (I'll probably do a children's book for that one).
  • Read a book recommended by your local librarian or bookseller.
  • Read a book banned at some point.
  • Read a book you previously abandoned. (That will probably be Small Favor by Jim Butcher, as I'd like to finish the Dresden Files series).
  • Read a book that intimidates you.
That's a good challenge to start the year off with.

No comments: