Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Saturday, January 02, 2016

I am really getting tired

of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Well, it didn't take long and I was out of jelly (or actually, the spreadable fruit without the added sugar), then I had honey with my peanut butter. Now I'm out of bread, so I'm going to make some tonight. Sigh. For dinner, though, I found a box of macaroni and cheese in the cupboard and made it.  Fortunately it's the type with the cheese already put in a pack, rather than requiring margerine or butter or milk.  So I had something different this time.

Five more days till payday.  I think I have enough ingredients to make bread between now and then, and there is enough peanut butter, plus one more box of macaroni and cheese, a couple packages of tuna and some canned spinach.  Oh, and quite a few multigrain crackers, most of which are still sealed and hopefully not stale.

Oh, well. I've got what it counts when it comes to wealth--good friends, the capacity to love, curiosity about life, a love of learning--all that and more.  I'm thankful for a job that pays better than I've ever had, (even if I wish it could be a little more, although maybe I just need to be a little more frugal), and I love my job and my co-workers.  Life is actually pretty good. Yesterday, on New Year's Day, I was alone and broke and generally feeling unloved and the like. Silly, I know.  My friends were spending time with each other, and I felt odd person out, and although I work well alone, even as a lifelong introvert, as I've aged I've found it harder to enjoy being alone, doing something fun for myself.  It seemed that the only people who wanted to talk to me were sending me robocalls and spam. Today I feel much better.  Loneliness really is a state of mind, not a condition.  I was feeling bad all aroud, even physically.  I realised last night that I wasn't getting sick or anything, that I just felt the weight of the worlld on my shoulders and didn't feel good about myself, so I felt bad physically, as well, and run down.  Getting some rest helped.  Being with friends helped even more.  Now I feel recharged and better able to handle whatever comes my way.

I've finished the game notes.  I still have some things to do around the house, but most of it is not pressing (I should gather my laundry so I can take it and do it during the game preparations tomorrow, and if I put it together tonight, it'll mean less running around tomorrow morning, when I'm on a schedule. I may do a load of dishes tonight.  Otherwise, I think I'll just relax and enjoy some time to myself.  To that end, I'm signing off for now.  Good night!

No comments: