Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Saturday, January 02, 2016

Is anyone else looking forward

to the MTV version of Terry Brooks' Shannara series, debuting January 5th? When I was leaving Kansas, my English teacher gifted me with The Sword of Shannara, the paperback version that had a fold out illustration by the Brothers Hildebrandt, which was beautiful.  Sadly,  in a fit of clearing out things,  I gave some of my fantasy books to the Lincoln County Public Library here in Kentucky when I moved out of my grandparents' house,  mainly because they had almost nothing of the genre at the time,  and that edition wound up there. I have often missed that book,  with her inscription and the colourful plate. I eventually went on to get several of the books. In fact, I have the first trilogy in an omnibus now,  so I still have the story,  but I still wish I hadn't parted with that copy.  Still, perhaps it brought joy to some lonely kid like it did me. :)

PS I went to the library website and found several Shannara books,  including the one I gave them. I'm thinking it's the same one because it is a first edition paperback illustrated by the Hildebrandts. The catalogue entry reads: Brooks, Terry.        The sword of Shannara. -- 1st ed. -- New York : Random House, 1977
       726 p., [1] fold. leaf of plates : ill. (some col.) ; 22 cm.
       
Nice to know they still have it. I wonder if I could call and at least have them check that copy for the inscription and photocopy it for me?

No comments: