Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Well, I made it to work and back today

and I'm pooped. The official snowfall total for Lexington yesterday was 10.2 inches, or the fourth-largest snowfall from midnight to midnight in our history.

I started out this morning from the apartment at 6:40 am, trudged through snowdrifts the two-tenths of a mile to the bus stop, taking great care to cross the road safely (that is the intersection where I was hit by a car while crossing in a crosswalk a couple of years ago, breaking my toes and ankle). I got there about 7:10. The bus was due about 7:16, but it got stuck in the snow over at Locust Hill and Richmond Road, so I sat there until about 7:45, when the next bus came. We went by the stuck bus when we went back up Richmond Road. I got off at my stop, managed to cross the road without too much trouble, but cars were turning into the lane, so I had to go over a drift up to my buttocks, then slog through the sidewalk, which had snow up to right below the knees. Fortunately I'd worn my jeans and had brought a pair of pants to wear at work. I had brought an extra pair of socks, too, but I wish I'd have worn them on top of the others, because my feet really got cold (it was 3 degrees Fahrenheit outside while I was sitting at the bus stop). When I went to go home, I did wear both pairs of pants and socks, and it really helped (it was also in the low twenties temperature-wise by then). But none of the sidewalks had been cleared, and I stood inside a snowdrift at the bus stop at work, so I got home, peeled off the wet clothes, got into something comfy (but not particularly warm, as I was pretty hot with the exertion, the 2-4 layers over my body, and a balaclava that showed just my eyes. My heart rate was probably up there with someone shoveling snow, and my breathing took awhile to settled down.

I had thought I might dig out the car while the sun was still out, but I just didn't feel up to it. Besides, we're supposed to get 1-3 additional inches of snow tonight, so I'd still have to do it tomorrow. I'll just have to get up early. I just hope the roads are better than this morning, as I really need to go by the pharmacy tomorrow after work, which means I have to get to work during the snowfall--and get some gas, too. But I've been home for about an hour and a half, and now I finally feel normal. I've eaten some lentil pilaf and a quinoa burger, along with an apple, and I think I'll do some reading soon. I did do some yoga yesterday, but I'm not feeling the desire to do any tonight. I've done plenty of exercise today, walking 8,036 steps so far today--well, more really, as I didn't have my phone with me every step. But as far as the yoga goes, I struggled through the poses yesterday (I used to be much better at that), but I did watch a segment after the workout on using props to keep proper alignment. So I'll try that, although I have a mat and strap, but only one block.

Brrr...I've been watching the weather. Thursday has air temperatures at a high of 3 degrees, and -12 degrees for a low. I just hope my car battery will work that low.

Okay, I'm going to go take my contacts out, get comfy, and do some reading. Good night, for now.

No comments: