Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Friday, February 27, 2015

I got a notification on my phone during lunch this afternoon

from a local TV news station, and as soon as I read 'Leonard Nimoy' my heart dropped in my chest. I realised he had died, had read he'd gone to the hospital recently, and I was so saddened by the news. But at least he did die at home, and he is hopefully at rest now. I watched my grandfather struggle for years with COPD, and my mother has it, too. It's a horrible illness, sucking your breath away bit by bit, like some sort of daemon. Mr Nimoy had smoked years and years ago, had quit 30 years prior to announcing his illness, and used that announcement as a teachable moment to urge others to not smoke. He had a great deal of warmth and dignity, and I will miss him. I loved him as Spock, of course, but I also was a great fan of the show 'In Search Of...', which explored mysterious topics such as the Bermuda Triangle or Bigfoot, with him narrating in his wonderful voice.

Leonard Nimoy, Spock of ‘Star Trek,’ Dies at 83

Alav HaSholom to him, and my condolences to his family and loved ones.

No comments: