Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Sunday, January 12, 2014

One more post before I finish breakfast and start straightening up around here

There's no game today, so I'm going over to do my general cleaning of their house and maybe a little help with something, but I don't have to be over as early and won't be there as long. I didn't get much accomplished, really, yesterday, including working on the house, so I'm going to do a little of that this morning and if need be some more later today.

I didn't actually get going till about 4 yesterday afternoon. I'm not sure what the deal was. Even when I got a shower I went back to bed, which is highly unusual. I just felt so run-down. About 5 I went to Taco Bell, got something light, and got some caffeine into me, then made the trip over to Cinemark a little early, used my pass for my ticket (we get passes each year from work for employee appreciation, or at least have for awhile now). I got a pretzel from the concession and a drink (that pretzel was $4! Inconceivable! (to quote one movie villain)). I had gotten there early enough that the screen was blank when we were seated, and we went through all the early 'First Look' stuff and finally the previews. I think Divergent and I, Frankenstein might be interesting to watch once they come out on Netflix. Another preview was for a movie I wouldn't normally watch, but I'm intrigued by the story and the cast. It's called Gimme Shelter. A young girl (Vanessa Hudgens, in what looks to be an excellent performance) runs away from her drug-using prostitute (Rosario Dawson) mother and finds her Wall Street father (Brendan Fraser), only to find she is pregnant and leaves again in order to keep the baby. It's supposedly based on a real story. Again, I'll probably not watch it in the theatres, but it did sound like it might be good.

Catching Fire itself was very good, very true to book in most ways, and with little of importance left out. For people who hadn't read the book, I think the ending came as a big surprise, because it, well, ends just really abruptly. One guy behind me said, 'Is that all there is?' But the book did, too. What does annoy me is that Mockingjay will be split up into two movies, rather than remain one. Do we really need multiple movies, or do they just want more money? Really? Three Hobbits? And two Deathly Hallows, when, as YKWIA put it, all they had to do was cut out the picturesque tour of British campgrounds and one would have done it with no problem. It's an annoying trend. But still, I'm waiting for the November 21st release date. Granted, it took me two months to go see this one. I'm glad it was in the theatres that long. I'll try not to wait as long with Mockingjay: Part 1. But not on opening weekend, either--that would be a circus.

Okay, I've eaten some yoghurt and berries. Time to get going. Have a great day, and a good rest of the weekend.

No comments: