Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Monday, January 06, 2014

I've been up and down all night

and finally decided to stay up at 5 am. It's about 11 degrees outside, and the wind chill is already below zero. I've been monitoring the local news for weather and road conditions. This isn't the worst I've experienced here. There was this:

Windchill Factor Hits 85 Below Zero in Spots : Records Topple as Bitter Cold Grips U.S., where it says: 'The windchill at Lexington, Ky., was calculated at 60 below zero.'

I remember that clearly. It was January, 1985. I was a freshman at the University of Kentucky and managed to make it to class, but of course I was walking from one side of the campus to the other. They were saying more than 10 minutes outside was dangerous, and it took 20 to make the walk. I think I had seven layers of clothes on. The wind was blowing people across an icy Patterson Office Tower Plaza. Brrr...I hope it doesn't get quite that bad.

PS True to form, with all the school closings going on, the University of Kentucky has stated it will remain open and on schedule. :) On, on, U of K, right? Dress in layers, guys.

No comments: