Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Thursday, March 08, 2012

Saw this yesterday on the news. Unbelievable.



You know what else is unbelievable? The number of people on YouTube commenting on how her taxes on that lottery win more than paid for any public assistance she's been (and continues) to be given. That's not the point. Public assistance is for those who need it, period. It doesn't matter if you don't get your money from a job, what matters is that even after cash option and taxes she had $500,000 to her name, and that's not poor. I think she can pay for her groceries herself and let others who truly need it use the benefit as it was intended.

Oh, and let me just add that I think food assistance should be used for, well, groceries. I worked in a gas station for five years and heard so many complain that we didn't take food stamps. I understand that for some neighbourhoods, a convenience store really might be the only place to get bread and milk with limited transportation, but the vast majority of the complaints I heard came from people upset for having to spend money loading up on cokes and candy, and then there were those who put those back so they could afford their cigarettes. Not saying everyone does that, I'm just saying that is what I often saw.

1 comment:

Wendy, R.N. said...

That is called GIANT COJONES!!!

Oh poor me, I only have $500,000 after the government took out the taxes.

Unbelievable!

W.:)