Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Saturday, June 12, 2010

Why you shouldn't let voicemails pile up

I finally got around to listening to my voicemail at my home phone tonight. I'd had several calls, and checked each day to see who had called. Invariably it was Walgreens with a note telling me my prescriptions were ready. I had asked for them to be filled last Thursday but had not been able to make it to pick them up until yesterday. Hence all the many reminders.

Turns out, I missed one, which made my experience at the pharmacy make ever so much sense. See, when I went in, there was a prescription for Cipro, an antibiotic. I thought this was a mistake and asked them to put it back. Apparently what I missed was a phone call from my doctor's office telling me my white blood cell count was up and they'd called in a prescription for Cipro for me to take.

So I called the pharmacy just now and they're going to get it ready for me. He asked when I could come get it. Realistically, that would be Monday--the bus only runs every hour tomorrow and I wasn't sure I could get there in time to get notes finished and get to work. He pointed out that Monday was too late to wait for a medicine for an infection, which I must say, he had a point. Still, on the other hand, I've apparently had one since June 4th with no symptoms beyond the blood test results. Even so, I'll slog over to the pharmacy tomorrow anyway. I wouldn't want to die just to get the game notes finished. :)

Still, I do wonder why the count is elevated. Nothing else was out of place, apparently.

Oh, and of course they'll ask me if I've ever taken Cipro. They always do. I've taken it in the past, but there's always concern because I'm allergic to penicillin. Mind you, just because I've taken it safely before doesn't mean I wouldn't develop an allergy, but they always seem relieved that I've taken it and not anaphylaxed and died. Now just so you don't think otherwise, I really appreciate the concern about my health. I'll be seeing my doctor in a relatively short time since we're trying to go up on Actos. So far it seems to be helping; my blood sugars have been about 180-190 in the morning and 120-140 in the afternoon, which is loads better than the 300s I was having as a fasting glucose level.

No comments: