Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Thursday, June 03, 2010

Guess what I encountered this morning on the way to the bus stop?

This little guy (gal?) was right up next to the sidewalk as I reached the edge of my apartment complex.  The size is deceiving--it was a full foot long and about 10 inches across. I'm not sure what type of turtle/tortoise it is. A co-worker said it looked like a snapping turtle. Needless to say, I thought it might be as well, so I went slowly around it so as not to startle it too much.  Anyone have any ideas as to what type it is? I must confess I never really learned to tell the difference between turtles and tortoises by sight.  The animal was within a stone's throw of a creek, though, so it could easily have been a turtle sunning itself up on the bank.

Anyway, I thought it was worth snapping a photo. :)

No comments: