Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Monday, June 28, 2010

When I was a kid I loved entymology, but refused to capture and kill specimens

preferring to study them alive in the wild. I will therefore confess I never actually did my 4-H assignment to the letter. But I love what these folks do:

Raising Butterflies

The web page has a video on raising butterflies, practical concerns on catching, raising, and releasing them (the latter of which has some major legal concerns).

I found it through a link in the comments of a Wired story on See Them While You Can: Endangered Butterfly Gallery from last year, which in turn was a link under related stories from today's 6 Super Close-Ups of Crazy Bug Eyes.

What can I say? I like bugs and did even as a very small child. I'm the one that let mud daubers crawl all over me when the others would scatter (mud daubers, incidentally, are the main predators of black and brown widow spiders. I also love spiders, but considering the poison of those, people should like mud daubers more.) Granted, I'll kill a tick or mosquito, something actively feeding on me, but that's about it (although one of my jobs when we were gardening years ago was taking out potato bug larvae the old-fashioned way).

No comments: