Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Today is going to be a difficult day

I'm putting my cat down at 4 pm today. Last night I gave him a special meal of Fancy Feast; today it was tuna for a last meal. He is miserable and I am miserable, and I think it's past time. But oh, for a cat who was so timid for so many years he's become quite loving, and I'm going to so miss him. He'll be the third cat in three years to die, and the last. That will leave me with Cerys, my dog, who's also fifteen and really showing her age. As much as pets enrich our lives, this is the hardest time. I come in wondering if I'll find one dead, passed away in his or her sleep.

In Darius' case he's grown really thin, is fecally incontinent, and has to spend almost all his time in the bathroom. It's no life for a cat. He can't keep himself clean. I did start to bathe him last night but decided it wasn't worth the trauma to him (and he's perfectly capable of clawing--his movement is not impaired a bit). Last night I let him cuddle up with me for a couple of hours and then he slept with us in the bed.

I so don't want to do this, but it's time. YKWIA is going with me, and then I guess I'll have to find a place to bury him. That's always hard, too. I have a place in mind where a pine tree was recently taken down, so the dirt should be fairly easy to dig.

I hope your day is better.

No comments: