Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Saturday, October 07, 2006

How many 'English' would be so quick to forgive?

Amish join mourners for funeral of schoolhouse killer

The tragedy in Pennsylvania has shocked the Amish and non-Amish communities alike. But what I find deeply moving is that members of the Amish community very quickly expressed condolences and forgiveness to the family of the man who killed five girls and wounded five others. I admire the depth of their religion and beliefs, even though I do not share them. I don't think I could forgive so easily, nor would most people I know. It's an expression of character, though. And although the idea of 'grief counseling' is an alien one to them, I have no doubt that the girls and others involved will get loving support that may ease their emotional pain.

The sad thing, too, is that this was a man who was by all accounts mentally ill, although much of that may have been hidden from family and those who knew him. If only he had been able to get help, perhaps this would have never happened. Unfortunately, not everyone has access to mental health care or realises that they should avail him- or herself of it. It's also rather sad that in the end this father of three became a sort of bogeyman, a monster who caused great suffering and destroyed lives including his own.

It may seem strange, but I do feel sorry for him, just like I feel sorry for terrorists and mass killers. Maybe I shouldn't. But it seems like there was a wrong turn taken somewhere along the way and factors which led to that turn. Of course, the choices of direction lie with the person. I'm not saying he or she is not responsible. But the mindset that brings about those choices is a chilling thing, so far out of the norm. It's hard to believe that one day in the past the killer was an innocent child. It's so awful to have known that child and try to reconcile what the adult person was like.

My main sympathy here is with the victims and their families, and also the family of the gunman. But I am rather glad that he was remembered by others at his funeral. I hope there are good memories along with the bad. And at least, now, he is no longer tormented by his past and can move on to work out his issues in a new life. May it be a better one for him, although of course his actions may spill over into the next life in terms of karma. But still...there is always hope, and always a chance that things will turn out better, and that different roads may be followed, roads that lead to a form of salvation.

No comments: