Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Saturday, October 14, 2006

I feel a little guilty

about taking a night off from the notes, but my plans are to work on the current ones tomorrow, then the older ones Monday-Friday, even though I'm working until 10pm on Tuesday and maybe Thursday or Friday. But I think that will be okay, because even though I'll work 12 hours total on Tuesday, it's doing very different things--a sit down job for six hours, followed by six hours on my feet, then an hour or so of typing. On the days I don't work at the gas station, I can work longer on the notes, at least 2-4 hours. I know it's too late to really make up for lost time, but every hour puts me closer to finishing, and that's what counts. Still, every girl needs a day off. Saturdays seem best, since I get 2-4 hours of alone time after a 10-hour day of standing and making pleasantries with a variety of people, some wonderful, some very difficult, some just repulsive. That leaves me with 10-20 hours of working on the notes per week. Each game session is taking about 2 hours unless there's a lot of investigation/research to record (action and downtime take less time). So that's 5-10 weeks of game play per week. That could take me through about one to two years' worth of game material before the end of the year. That's a far cry from fifteen, of course. Let's see...if I can work at that pace, on average it will take me six weeks of typing per year of playing, so I could finish by...September 2008. Plus add more time for having to fill in so much of the early notes and it probably will go into 2009. Okay, that's not encouraging. That's missing two years or more of the game. :( I should have done this math last year when this project first came up. Of course, it indicates that I couldn't have finished in one year, even if the notes were simply being transcribed, but that doesn't really matter anymore. I could have asked for and gotten an extension. Sigh. Too late now, of course. In the meantime, my characters will fade to black and white and go forward without me. Maybe I'll get to come back in time for the characters caught inside Yog Sothoth to come back. :) And of course, I'll know what's going on at least as they go through things, because I'll be keeping up with the notes all along.

I wonder if there is some negotiation I could make with the game master to stay in the game so long as I am diligently working on the notes. Oh, Gods, what I am saying? Bargaining with the Devil (okay, not quite that bad, but my goodness, it's close) has gotten me into SO many inextricable situations (although admittedly, my bargaining skills suck).

Still, the road ahead of me is more than a little daunting, isn't it?

No comments: