Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Thursday, December 01, 2005

So we have this thing at work

where we fill out a form listing our performance improvements over the past year. I was really tempted to write:
Librarian receiving medicine for ADD improves her output tremendously.

It's true. I'm not sure I would have ever been able to catalogue the whole collection if I weren't more focussed, and I certainly couldn't do it in a timely manner. I did get to put the catalogue in as an improvement. Same goes for the other improvement I put on the sheet, that I was (finally) keeping statistics to help monitor trends in library services and improve as necessary. I've tried to do it for years. I'm now on my third month of doing it for real.

If I compared how productive I have been at the end of the year compared to the beginning of the year, it really would be like night and day. Virtually every moment of my time is taken up in constructive work, rather than flitting from project to project and having trouble finishing anything. It's even been easier to bring some order to my house. I'm still working on the social skills aspect of ADD, but overall my quality of life post-ADDerall/diagnosis has been remarkably better. Woo-hoo!

Plus, I'm not frustrated by having to switch gears in the middle of something anymore. I was able to do a literature search and find several articles and put them into a resident's hand with no trouble at all. I used to have trouble if I had to drop everything and focus on something else instead.

Okay, time to go get my teeth cleaned (oh, joy) and then on to my other job. Happy December!

No comments: