Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Thursday, November 10, 2005

It's good that they can tell sooner, but it'll be controversial

assuming a woman can even get the test in her area or approved by an insurer.

Test detects Down syndrome in first trimester

I don't know how I would feel about getting a positive test for Down's. I'm of an age now that the chances of having a child with Down's is roughly 1 in 100. That's a scary thought. And of course, everyone wants a perfectly healthy baby. I generally wouldn't have an abortion, although I support a woman's choice and the availabilty of safe ways to terminate a pregnancy. Down's is a sticky situation, because, yes, it is a disorder with a lot of ramifications--retardation and heart disease among others--but it isn't on the scale of say, the rare baby born without a working brain or similar catastrophic case. Children with Down's are loving people who can often function at quite a high level, especially given early intervention. I just don't know how I feel, and I can only hope I'm never in that situation. At least at the moment I'm not in any danger. ;) Still, for those looking for more information, this test could really help, especially in terms of deciding whether more invasive tests are warranted.

No comments: