Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Thursday, November 17, 2005

Okay, there are a lot of broken links

but this is my starting point for some of those ancient history links. http://eawc.evansville.edu/essays/grpage.htm.
So I'm saving it for future reference. I also found this collection of Greek authors.

A friend and I had a discussion the other night about passion, and he pointed out there is nothing I'm absolutely passionate about, and I have to agree. But the past, the study of history, people, and languages...that comes closest of all. Still, I think he'd say, and again, he's probably right, that like books and food, I find the past comforting and surround myself with it more from a need for security rather than true passion.

I have to admit, the fact that I am so detached emotionally from the stuff of life is worrisome to me, and I'd like to fall right head over hills in love or evoke strong emotions for something I love, but I can't. I don't know if that's built-in or learnt. But it is something I hope to change. Ironically, I love Romantic literature, pre-Raphaelite art and Art Nouveau, things that drink very deeply of that sort of passion. But I'm not sure anymore if I really 'get' it, or if I just enjoy it intellectually. Also ironically, I have trouble controlling my emotions and yet overcontrol them as well. Sigh. Maybe someday I can just live for living's sake and not worry about why I'm doing something.

No comments: