Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Thursday, April 14, 2005

Maybe third time will be the charm?

I tried to get a copy of Tamora Pierce's Lioness Rampant through the otherwise wonderful hold and deliver feature of the Lexington Public Library, and it's becoming a comedy of errors of a sort.

In theory, you place a hold request, ask them to deliver the book to your local branch (mine is Eagle Creek), and then they e-mail you that it's ready for pickup. Maybe I'm having trouble because it's a paperback, and therefore small, but the first one supposedly arrived but when I went to pick it up, it had gone missing. Then they placed another hold (priority this time to bump me to the head of the queue) for another one. It arrived. I went to pick it up and that morning someone apparently saw that it was time to cancel the hold for the first one and neglected to notice the one actually being held had a different code number, so whoever it was sent it cheerfully back to whichever branch. So, now I have another priority hold and we'll see if this one arrives. The annoying thing is that I have read the books up to that one, and I also have the one next in line (from another series; the main character of series has a daughter who is the heroine in the second). So, unless I want to spoil the series end, I can't go on until I get this little annoying book.

Maybe they should hire me. I'd thrive off of putting these sorts of things to rights.

No comments: