Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Wednesday, April 06, 2005

And finally, mortality for an author who wrote of the essence of human existence

Yahoo! News - Saul Bellow, U.S. Author and Nobel Winner, Dead at 89

I have to admit, despite being a librarian and having a fairly decent knowledge of literature, I have never read or for that matter did not know of Mr Bellow's work. I'll admit ignorance. I don't know if that has a lot to do with schools' focus on 19th and early 20th century literature or just my tendency to read genre fiction (mystery and sci-fi/fantasy) rather than 'great American novels'. One friend thought it had more to do with critical success being at the hands of a relatively small number of readers, especially for Nobel and Pulitzer prizes, rather than more popular works. I am curious, though, and I'd like to check out his work, especially the themes drawn from his Jewish background.

No comments: