Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Got to take a break

I've been working on the kitchen, and I'm about halfway through. I've gone through all the cabinets, gotten rid of things that are very old and expired, and cleaned out the refrigerator, among other things. But the former meant standing on a folding chair to reach the top shelf, and that's not a great thing to do when you're six months out from a broken ankle and nearly 300 lbs. :) I managed not to fall; it just hurts when I do that. I filled up two trash bags of stuff, some of which moved with me with from the old apartment nine years ago. Yes, really. The next step is to wash the hand-wash dishes, wipe down the counters and sink, put some baking materials back in the oven (sadly, my kitchen is so small I have to keep them there, and then unload them when I want to bake. Even my microwave is actually in my dining area and not the kitchen. I do have a butcher-block style 'kitchen island', but it is against the wall and the leaf that expands it is on the wall side, with a drawer on the open side and two shelves below, the latter of which is full of cookbooks and cooking pots. One day, maybe, I'll have some proper cabinets, but since I don't cook much, it works for now. I am hoping to cook more often now that YKWIA is teaching me, though. Okay, I'm going to prop my ankle up and maybe ice it for a few minutes before tackling the rest of the kitchen. Then I'll try to move on to the living area, which was the planned area for tonight.

No comments: