Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Saturday, January 03, 2009

There's a reason

my temperature gauge was going up near 'H' yesterday as I idled at a long stop light on the way to work last night. I didn't have any antifreeze (or at least, very, very little) in the car. I couldn't really see last night, so I kept an eye on it and drove very little, then went over to the station this morning and wound up putting a whole container of antifreeze into the receptacle. Fortunately I had one in the trunk that had never been opened--antifreeze is expensive and I didn't really want to have to shell out money for it, although of course it is a necessity if you're driving a car. It's the one fluid I forget (obviously) to check. I checked the oil and put one quart of it in, too.

Agh.

On a brighter note, I went by the pet store and got some multi-purpose liquid that removes chlorine, ammonia, and nitrates (my other apparently just did chloramines), so that should help now that I've treated the water. I asked them for some Java grass and they gave it to me for free (it replicates like bunnies--I used to take some out and use it as fertilizer for my garden, in fairly large amounts). This is a small bunch but it will multiply, and take some of the harshness of the light down and give the fish somewhere to hide. Yay for free.

Okay, still more to do before noon. Bye.

No comments: