Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Friday, January 02, 2009

A dream

I was in my mother's house, although it was a combination of hers and that of a couple of friends, but two storey. We were making cookies, although mine were actually some sort of potato cookie without eggs that you fried on the stove like latkes. They weren't going well. There were children playing outside; it was day. Then it was night. Then I was asleep and woke up to a terrible alarm. There was no clock in the room. I panicked, thinking I'd left the cookies on the stove. I ran over to an outlet and pulled a couple of things out of it, including a piece I thought was broken. It wouldn't quit. I ran outside, jumped over some irises, and put it in a drawer in the trash. Yeah, I know. Hey, it was a dream. But I still heard the sound. Then I thought it must have come from my mother's room, so I went back in and she was there and saying something I couldn't understand. Then suddenly I woke up, and my insistent alarm was still going. I turned it off and lay back down. Then my cell phone went off. It actually went off first, but it was on the floor and I'd obviously turned it off in my sleep, sending my c-pap machine askew.

I actually woke up long before my alarm, at 8 am, but still felt like sleeping more, so I went back to bed. Waking up this way was somewhat traumatising, and I ache all over. Normally I can wake up to my phone, but I'm too prone to re-set it, so I use the alarm from hell as a backup.

So now I'm eating a breakfast of eggs, banana, and muesli (no coffee today--I'm not in the mood) in the hopes of getting my head back on straight. The dream was simple but very vivid. I know where all the elements came for--it was fairly straightforward. But it still messed with my head briefly.

Ugh.

No comments: