Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Thursday, January 29, 2009

The roller coaster ride of an ice storm

So, my power's been out for 24 hours, and I haven't gotten any sleep because I couldn't use my CPAP (the machine that blows pressurised air into my nose to counteract my sleep apnea). I haven't showered. I feel icky. But the power just came back on a little while ago, so I plan to go back to sleep, or rather, go back to bed and hope I sleep this time. I thought I'd write just a short post in case it goes back out again.

We got some big fluffy snowflakes yesterday that translated to another weight for the trees, so more are going down and power is out in much of the area. Some cities are out almost entirely; here in Lexington there are pockets throughout the city (and I was lucky enough to live in one of them). All told, there were over 600,000 homes without power in Kentucky last night, according to the paper.

Last night I had another problem. I got off from work at about 9:20 pm and discovered that both front door latches were frozen so that the doors would not close again. It took about an hour and some WD-40 that a co-worker was nice enough to buy for me (I got paid today, and didn't have the money) to get going again. Then, of course, I came home to darkness. A customer had warned me that the Easthills and Buckhorn areas were out, so there was a good chance that my area, which is not that far away, was out as well. And so it was. I had to use candles to find my flashlight (I thought I put it by the door, but had moved it to the table near the recliner the night before when I'd been in the dark). Now it's in it's spot near the door, just in case.

I called in to the hospital today but spoke with the secretary since I thought my boss wouldn't be able to make it in (she lives southeast, in an area pretty hard hit, and hadn't been here for the last couple of days), but there was a communication problem and she did come in but didn't know where I was, so she called me to see if I were in an accident or something, which was nice of her. I assured her that I was alright but just had not had any sleep and wasn't working on all thrusters.

Okay, that's all for now. If I can, I'll blog more after I get some rest. At least I have some food in the house that won't spoil and a comforter (although no blankets, really--I don't normally sleep with much cover), so if it goes back out I can hopefully do alright. If worse comes to worse, I can shower at the gym, and my boss from the store has offered her place if I need somewhere to stay. But with any luck, the power will stay on. It's still pretty cool in the house (it's 20-something degrees outside), so I'll bundle up. And so, even if it is midday, good night. :)

No comments: