Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Sunday, November 30, 2003

Flood!

listening to: A maintenance guy snake out my kitchen sink
feeling: Concerned

I feel like a Sim. I was typing away and suddenly I heard running water that most definitely was not my aquarium pump. Both kitchen sinks were running over. Fortunately, my apartment includes speedy maintenance service, so I called them and made sure nothing got to the carpet in the meantime. I very nice guy cleaned up the water with a couple of rolls of paper towels and is now working on cleaning out the clog. The water was very greasy; I think it must have come from upstairs, since I rarely use oil or butter in cooking and I haven't used any for quite some time. Unfortunately it looks like the clog is too far for the snake to reach; he's going to call a professional rooter company.

Meanwhile, Spock (my 15-year-old cat) is a little under the weather today. He threw up earlier and had some particularly foul diarrhoea. I usually feed them Indoor Cat Chow which usually sits well with everyone, but I did feed them one serving of some food a co-worker had given me rather than go out to the car in the cold last night to bring the new bag in. Sorry, baby, I was a bad mom.

Cerys (who's 12) really needs her teeth cleaned (I looked them over today and it looks like a tooth is starting to abscess.) I haven't noticed any problems with her eating, but someone pointed out that her breath felt like there might be some decay. The problem, of course, is that involves putting her under anaesthesia, which could cost around $400. I used to be too neurotic to have her put under (or me, for that matter--I still have my wisdom teeth, and they should have come out at least a decade ago); now the problem is financial. So I'm going to save up a little each pay period and hopefully be able to do it in a few weeks. At least it's pretty recent; she was fine at her annual exam. While they have her out they can take off the little fatty tumours older dogs get, too. I wish my medical reimbursement covered pets. It's rough when your pets get to be geriatric. :( It seems like yesterday that I brought her home, after all, and she's been thankfully pretty healthy. Now she's greying and she has cataracts, and I think the terrier in her is causing her to seem older quicker.

Buns (also 12) has been doing better; he's gained weight and most of his hair is back. He still has a couple places that haven't healed completely where he's constantly licking. Meanwhile, Darius (the baby, but 12, too) has been meowing loudly whenever he defecates; I'm beginning to wonder if he has haemorrhoids like Dwana's cat, Simba. Of course, Darius is not a 'cat-of-size' like Simba, but I guess that could be it. I could find myself putting haemorrhoid cream on a cat. Somehow I doubt he'll stand for that. I've got to take the whole herd in as soon as I'm able. At least the good thing is, I can drive them over to Dr Sears' now. I prefer her to the vet across the street.

Well, I guess I get to wait for the rooter people. They should be here within an hour (it's nearly 1 am, though, now). So, I think I'll do a little reading and maybe have some hot chocolate. See what an exciting life I lead? This is a fairly typical Saturday night. Oh, well. Goodnight, anyway.

No comments: