Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Thursday, November 20, 2003

Freaky

I went to pick a friend up from work and as I was driving down Fontain (mind you, nearly 1 in the morning) I came across an SUV stopped in the middle of the road with its lights on, both front doors open wide, and no one in sight. I suppose someone could have been on the other side, say, with a flat tyre, but you'd think the driver's side door would be shut. I had to go around it into the other lane. Needless to say, I thought it was suspicious. (No. I didn't stop. I'm a woman driving in a car alone in the middle of the night, after all.) However, I do have the non-emergency number of the police in my cell phone so I called and made a report. After I dropped my friend off--about 5 minutes, top--I drove back. There was a police car there already. The doors were now shut and the headlights off. Still no sign of anyone in the car or around it, and no light on the other side if the police were assisting there. Weird. It could be innocuous, but...well, I mean for all I know someone could have been grabbed or had a fight or been shot, etc., and the vehicle was directly in traffic. I'd rather report something that was minor than ignore someone who really needed help.

Almost home, I had someone ride up on my bumper and then zip around me in a no-passing zone. That SUV almost turned right onto Lakeshore, but then headed on down Fontaine. It could just have been a hazardous driver. For that matter, I suppose it could be the same vehicle--they were both dark, and I don't know make and models enough to know the difference. Maybe they saw the police and wanted to get away. Maybe they'd been drinking. Who knows? But just in case they were in any way related, I did go ahead and chant the licence number for a block until I got home and could write it down.

Note to self: Try not to be out about closing time for the bars. Too many weirdos out that time of night. Gee, I'm tired of the whole Law and Order day. I think it's time to turn in.

No comments: