Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Thursday, November 13, 2003

I am SOOOOO in shock...

feeling: Delirious

As I mentioned previously, my mom and stepfather was coming to Lexington today and were bringing some money to help out with my dismal financial situation, for which I'm quite grateful. I didn't really think about both of them coming up...I figured they were doing some shopping. John particularly likes to hit the computer stores in Lexington.

But I found out there was another reason for both of them to come. I was paged to the lobby and I took Dwana along because I wanted her to meet my parents (and vice versa) and instead of coming back to the library they asked me to walk out back with them. A surprised glimmer of hope began to swell inside me. Apparently John showed Dwana some keys and motioned for her to come with us, and my mom winked at her. We went outside and John goes, 'where are you parked?' When I said I wasn't, he gestured towards a car next to my mom's truck and said, 'Oh, I think you're parked right over there'--and handed me the car keys.

It's still not real. Momma and John told Dwana to make sure I didn't accidentally walk home after work. Then Momma gave me some money and wished me an early Christmas.

It's a 1996 Taurus, a little high in mileage, but well cared for. The inside looks brand new. It's got cruise control and power and I'm pretty sure, for the first time, I have a car with air bags.

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!! I'm mobile! And I can pay bills!

Oh, and it's payday at both places and I bought a Diet Coke and won a free one with the bottlecap. Maybe I should buy a lottery ticket today? :)

Thanks Momma and John!

No comments: