Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Sunday, November 02, 2003

A great, productive weekend so far

    I:
  • Spent Halloween evening finishing up a Cthulhu adventure. It seemed appropriate, and no one ever stops by the apartment for candy. I usually celebrate Samhain (the religious holiday) on either the old date, November 11th or the astronomically correct one, so it worked out. But most pagans go with Samhain Eve as tonight. Actually, given the importance it has in my tradition, I treat October 31-November 12 as a sort of Samhain season akin to Advent. I don't put quite as much emphasis on the other cross-quarter days and celebrate them within the same framework but usually one of the appropriate dates rather than throughout them. Does that make any sense?
  • Put a temporary rinse on my hair that doesn't so much lighten the hair as boost the natural highlights/cover a little of the grey, meaning I now have fairly coppery hair, and Friday late it was very, very red and now it's settled down to just a shade or two off my norm.
  • Went with some co-workers out to Ruby Tuesday's for lunch and then to catch the early bird matinee for Intolerable Cruelty. I wasn't sure I'd like it, but that didn't matter because as far as I'm concerned Catherine Zeta-Jones is quite possibly the most gorgeous woman on the planet. But the movie was great. George Clooney and Zeta-Jones had a wonderful, sexy chemistry that truly made the movie. It was wonderful to watch the cynical, bored divorce lawyer soar to high romantic heights only to be chewed up and spit out. It was wonderful to see all their scheming for naught. It was instructional to see an asthmatic bad guy get confused over his inhaler and his gun (I took careful notes on that one, wouldn't want to squeeze the wrong trigger). I want this on video. It's a perfect romantic comedy involving terribly practical people who show their inner romantics by bandying Shakespeare at one another. Not to mention, it is quite possibly the funnies use of the name Tenzing Norgay. Defintely check this one out.
  • Came home, happy, full, and sleepy. Proceeded to take a six-hour nap.
  • Woke up to do some blogging and wound up reporting gunshots instead.
  • Had trouble with the debit machine at Walgreens and had to go to the ATM, causing me to miss my bus this morning. Fortunately, a nice doctoral student studying gerontology offered me a ride.
  • Discovered that being a little more redhead and wearing my contacts and light makeup and a v-neck apparently makes damn near everyone notice me like I'm neon. I'm not sure if I just look that great or if the makeup makes me feel more confident so I'm not my normal mousy-fade-in-the-background-self. Not that this is bad, mind you, but it was a little disconcerting, and I think I offended a guy on the bus when he offered to keep me company and I told him I was busy. But that's because...
  • Have written my first 1500 words or so of my NaNoWriMo novel (of a target of 50,000). I'm much further along than I was this time last year, which is good, because I think I only got a fifth of the way at that time. I was blocking out the outline and writing the last of a chapter on the bus, so I really was busy. And he seemed like a drugged out unshaven Carrot Top kind of guy, so I don't think he was my type--although I'm sure he's nice. Maybe a little crazy, though.
  • Played much Sims.
  • Didn't wind up gaming today because Brenda's still madly working on her play (evil director decided to do Hamlet--I think--with one female cast and one male one, so double costumes) and I had wakeup issues to contend with, for which I will apologise to the game master next week with Halloween leftover gummy mummies. Oh, well. Gaming twice in one weekend's a little over top for me.
  • Ordered my unemployment insurance cheque...and
  • Did laundry. Clean clothes, yay!

Not bad for a couple of days. I'm going to work on some projects for KET, too. I would have gone over earlier but I'd unfortunately left my badge at home. Still, I think I can get a lot accomplished at home.

Now I'm trying to decide if I'd like to watch a little TV or take a nap. The nap is winning, I think.

No comments: