Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

The other day

I posted this on Facebook:



I thought maybe I was being unfair. See, the story was of a baboon father that rushed to his infant's aid after the mother was killed by a lioness and it was being held in her clutches. I remember thinking, hey, the baboon gets it, why don't some men? And then I thought, gee, Lisa, that's awfully cynical. And then I saw this the very next day:

Deputies: Man Smothered Crying Son Over Video Game
Wygant said he was frustrated because the boy was crying uncontrollably, preventing him from playing his Xbox games, according to investigators. He covered the boy's nose and mouth for three to four minutes until he became lethargic, then placed him in a playpen and covered him with bedding, which was tucked around the boy's body and head, officials said.

Wygant didn't check on Daymeon for five hours, investigators said, while he played Xbox and watched three episodes of the television show "Fringe." By the time he checked on the child, Daymeon had turned blue and was unresponsive, they said.
The 24-year-old seemed to have no value for his son's life; it was all about what he wanted to do. I told YKWIA about this story, and he was of the opinion that this guy should 'have a testical-ectomy, and his penis too, and pee through a straw' rather than have any other children again. I can see his point. I definitely hope justice is served in this case. And no offence to the good people of Florida (and there must be some) but my goodness, what is it with Florida and these news stories? Any desire I ever had to visit the state dried up a long time ago. I've read so many stories, from shooting unarmed teens and people in theatres to extreme bullying by throwing accelerant on a kid and lighting them on fire. I know every place has its issues, but still. Maybe that's a little unfair, but that's how I feel.

No comments: