Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Thursday, April 03, 2014

Tonight I'm planning my trip to Chicago

that's coming up. I finally got my agenda for our meeting. We're having a seminar the first day which runs from 1:30-5:00 pm, and then the next day our business meeting runs from 8 am to about noon, with a boxed lunch thereafter. Now as you may remember, in 2012 I was planning on going and spending an extra day at my own expense to enjoy the sights, but got hit by a car and had to cancel the trip. This time I couldn't really manage the extra day, but it turns out in order to get the flight in and out of Lexington, I have to go up pretty early (leaving 6 am our time, arriving 6:20 Chicago time) the first day and late the second (leaving 6:50 pm Chicago time, getting to Lexington about 9 our time). This actually may give me time to do stuff. So I started looking at the various places I might want to go and I think what I'm going to try to do is go to the Field Museum the morning of the first day and then on the second day after our meeting, go to Hull-House Museum, which is really pretty close to my hotel and the meeting venue. The first appeals to my love of science, the second to my love of history and social science. So the plan is to hang around the airport for a bit the first day until closer to time when things open, then head to the hotel and have them hold my luggage (I checked, they'll do so for free), go to the Field Museum, then head back around noon and go to the seminar. That night I think there's a plan to go out to eat together. Then the next day I could go to our meeting, go to Hull-House, and then head to the airport. I may try to see the former librarian of our Chicago hospital while I'm there, too, maybe meet her for a meal. I probably need to be back to O'Hare about 4 or 4:30 pm, since the security is longer to get through there. This time I'll park in long-term parking at Bluegrass Airport rather than trying to take the LexTran Keeneland-Airport bus, as it doesn't run early or late enough for me. But the oeconomy parking is only $8 a day. So that's not bad. My hotel, airfare, meals, and transportation costs are taken care of related to the meeting--the first two prior to the meeting, the latter two reimbursed--so I just need to pay for the museums and cabfare to and from the Field Museum. That's not bad.

No comments: