Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Thursday, April 24, 2014

I have made an absolute mess in my dining area...but

I now have three windowboxes of geraniums, petunias, and a delicate blue flower that I'm not sure of the name (it looks a bit like flax), one per window. I also repotted a Norfolk Virginia pine, a prayer plant, a spider plant, a Christmas cactus and two Croton plants. I went through three medium bags of Miracle-Gro potting soil that regulates moisture and is good for containers.

Even though I live in an apartment, I garden. Here is what I grow:
    Outside:
  1. Geraniums, pinkish-lavender (2)
  2. Geraniums, white a pink bicolour (2)
  3. Geraniums, salmon pink (2)
  4. A pink petunia
  5. A purple petunia
  6. The flax-like blue flower, which I will check tomorrow and see what the tag says
    At the apartment:
  1. A spider plant
  2. A Norfolk Virgina pine
  3. A trailing hoya
  4. A purple African violet
  5. A lavender and white bicolour African violet
  6. Crotons (2)
  7. A Christmas cactus
  8. CAn umbrella plant
  9. A prayer plant
  10. A flamingo plant
  11. An aloe vera
  12. An amaryllis
    At work:
  1. A cyclamen
  2. A jade plant
  3. A purple passion plant
  4. A Christmas cactus
  5. A purple African violet (huge)
  6. Its baby
  7. Another purple African violet
  8. A pink variegated African violet
  9. A dark pink, almost maroon African violet
  10. A purple oxalis (commonly and mistakenly called shamrocks)
  11. A green oxalis
If I counted correctly, that's 33 plants. Not bad for someone without space for an actual garden.

I'm glad I did this tonight. I was feeling a bit put out and annoyed. As a T-shirt once said 'I love gardening. It's cheaper than therapy and you get tomatoes.' :) This year I decided to focus on flowers, not edibles or herbs. Hopefully, they'll do fine. Okay, I really should go clean up this stuff on my dining table. Really.

No comments: