Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Sunday, September 19, 2010

So

I've had very little sleep, I cleaned today, played several hours in the game, then went on the Kroger run of doom with friends but had to be the schlepping dromedary in terms of carrying in stuff since the others are having issues with carrying any weight right now. (Yes, we're in our 40s and 50s; we're all breaking down.) Anyway, I'm sticky, tired, and contemplating a shower. Despite this I feel better than I did earlier in the day, when I was just at the cusp of starting my period and just feeling, well, not well. I went over to the game master's house an hour later than normal but still got everything done before game time, despite feeling kind of crappy. I'm considering taking a shower, going to bed early, getting up and doing some laundry, and do my religious obligations tomorrow night.

On a completely different topic, yesterday I found out Brandon was leaving the store to return to his former job, which is in management. Hopefully we'll be able to stay in contact, but I have to admit, I'm considering quitting myself. I really feel like the store is going downhill, and with our car wash permanently dead now and being unable to do anything to the facility because the building isn't owned by the company, I have a sneaking suspicion that they might just shut it down. There is one other store on the road that I could transfer to, but it would mean a much longer walk home at night. I don't really care much for any of the other people I work with right now, I have to admit. And it would be nice to have a Saturday each week to have on my own. I think I can make it on what the hospital is paying, although the extra $250 or so a month from the store is nice. The main thing is that the hospital data entry job is expected to just last a year, and so I'd have to find another job when that is over. YKWIA thinks I should quit, and his advice is usually sound. I may just have to trust that I can find another job if needed, or that this might be extended. If I put in my notice next Saturday, that'll give them time to replace Brandon and get someone trained, plus handle any increase in traffic due to the World Equestrian Games, which start this weekend, which is kind of like the equestrian version of the Olympics and is being held in Lexington, the first time it's been held outside Europe since its inception. It runs from September 25th-October 10th. I don't know if we'll have any increase in business; we're on the opposite end of town from the Horse Park, but still. Plus my last day would be opening weekend for Keeneland's fall meet. Lexington is very horse driven, you may have noticed. (That same weekend is also a home football game for the University of Kentucky on Saturday and a Nickelback concert on Friday. I'd hate to be a traffic cop that weekend with everything going on at once.) As far as quitting, I guess I'll do some ruminating this week and make a final decision by Saturday.

Now that I've sat down for a little while I think I've recovered enough to get something to eat and check the news. If I don't write any more tonight, have a good one.

No comments: