Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Thursday, September 23, 2010

I can tell it's full moon (and not just by looking outside)

I decided to stop by Gabriel Brothers on the way home tonight, assuring that I'd be getting home after dark had fallen. As the big harvest full moon (coinciding with the autumnal equinox, happy Mabon!) as well as Jupiter rose above Wal-Mart (which I did not go to, as they are the Evil Empire, in my opinion), I walked up to the bus stop to wait. This was no mean feat, as I was uncustomarily in two-inch heels today, which worked okay for walking around the hospital, sitting at my desk, etc., but after standing for a half-hour waiting for the bus, then walking around the store (scoring one blouse, one shirt, a sweatshirt, a package of underwear, and Dove bodywash all for under $25), my feet were definitely ready to go home, and more to the point, to sit at the bus stop. Unfortunately there was a scary guy talking to himself about stalking adolescents sitting there, and he smelled, so I stood discreetly away, over by the shelter, which did have a seat, but I once watched someone about my size sit on it and break it at that very spot, and I wasn't taking chances.

Then a little older lady walked up and I was like, great, I'm not alone with the pervert, and she asked about the connector bus, which I know almost nothing about, and then said she'd know if it were the last one coming in a bit. I asked her didn't it pick up on the other side of the road. She said yes, but she was just going to stand there. Then the bus came and went (on the other side of the road), and she waited a bit and then quietly shuffled off with her bags up the street in the direction it was headed. Right after this, the guy got up and muttered to himself (he'd been quiet while she'd been there) and then shuffled off in the other direction. I sat down on the other side of the bench and waited for the bus, wondering which one was loopier (the man seemed potentially more dangerous, so he won hands down). I know most people who are mentally ill are perfectly harmless, but it just takes one violent looney to ruin your whole day, so I was very happy to see the bus come.

After I got off, I walked a bit in my stockinged feet, but put my shoes back on and they felt better. I'd dressed up today in a purple top, a long satin-and-velvet-banded skirt (which was fine this morning but hot tonight, although I got many compliments on it, which is funny because I got it for $5 at Gabriel Brothers a few months ago), knee high stockings, my shoes (which look like Mary Janes from the front but are heeled and backless), even jewelry (nothing expensive, but sparkly). I even wore makeup. Tomorrow it'll be a black skirt in a light material, one of the new tops, and my normal sandals. No more heels for me for awhile. Saturday the plan is to do laundry so I have more stuff to wear. You knew I was putting it off, didn't you?

I'm afraid I have no long, boring video post tonight. I was soaked to the skin and I immediately put on some shorts and the skimpiest top I own. I won't scare you with that. I was so happy to get the shoes and stockings off and cool off in the air conditioning. I'm going to finish eating and look at the news, and then I think I'm going to read some more of Jim Butcher's White Knight, which I've almost finished. Have a good night. Watch out for loonies howling at the moon, and happy Autumn!

No comments: