Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Thursday, September 09, 2010

I was looking at my classmates from high school on Facebook

And both of the cousins in my class are there. We're, oh, let's see, our grandparents were siblings so second cousins? There's a picture in one of our albums of me with one of them up against a wall kissing him at about age 2, so I guess we really are 'kissing cousins'. I haven't requested them as friends because frankly I don't know if they'd know me from Adam--we never hung out in high school together and of course my name's changed completely, so I'd have to add an explanatory note (but I have to do that with most people who knew me as Lisa Broadbent).

One of the things I like about Facebook is that's it's easy to connect with people. My mom's on Facebook, as well as my aunt, uncle, two cousins, some high school classmates, some friends from college, people I've worked with, etc. I don't have a lot of Facebook 'friends' because I actually choose people I know as a general rule to add one, although there's a couple of librarians I know only through Facebook or online. The main drawback I see to Facebook is that it's a--how did Betty White put it in her SNL monologue--'complete waste of time' I think, in that the games can suck you into wasting hours or even days of your life, which is why I haven't played any since I waited four hours for an eagle chick to hatch in Zooville. :)

No comments: