Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Thursday, May 06, 2010

From the first movie I ever owned (on VHS, of course)



I bought it actually before I got my VCR, as I was doing a paper on it in a despised class on postmodernism. Pink Floyd's The Wall is not for everyone. I first saw it in the theatre at college and was blown away by its imagery, the psychology, the music. It's one of those movies that makes more sense the more you watch it, but it's sometimes difficult to watch, and it has an effect on the emotions as well.

When I was young, in a sense I had built a wall around myself much like Pink did, and my inner world was brighter on the surface, but there was a lot of anger and pain underneath, mainly due to a feeling of emotional neglect in my childhood. So parts of The Wall really resonated with me. I didn't realise then how depressed I was. Although drugs were never part of my life, I was emotionally numb in many ways, and I connected with this song in particular.

In the movie, the wall comes down and Pink's fate is unknown. I always took a more positive view that he was freed, but he could have spiraled down to death, emotionally and physically. I'm just lucky my own walls have mostly come down, thanks to a wonderful mentor and a lot of hard work. But it's taken over 20 years to do so.

No comments: