Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Friday, January 01, 2010

Hi and Happy New Year

I'm a little groggy despite not drinking last night, and I'm going into work an hour-and-a-half early, so I'm not sure if I'll get anything I wanted to do today done. So it's not an auspicious beginning to the year.

Yesterday was focussed on friendship and fun. I ended the year on an up-beat, going over to YKWIA's and visiting, eating fried tofu and vegetables, and watching Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, something I missed in the theatres. I loved it; it's my favourite of the movies so far, even with all the snogging, and of course I cried you-know-when (if you don't, go read the book--it's devastating both in the plot and for the reader/viewer). I'm considering re-reading the seventh book in preparation for the next two movies.

I had gone and gotten my rent money order, which I'll take in tomorrow when they're in the office and can give me a receipt, and I did manage to get home relatively early (9 pm) although not before dark as I had meant to. Then I pulled out my DVD for 'Dr Horrible's Sing-Along Blog' (I'd been listening to the soundtrack on my phone on the way home) and watched the whole thing. Then I listened to the musical commentary, which I hadn't listened to before, which was amusing, although I should have worked on notes, in retrospect. I then nestled into the comfy chair with the Snuggie and watched a bit of the evening news and then muted the TV and set my alarm to 10 minutes till midnight so I could watch the ball drop.

I must not have heard it the first time; it went off right at midnight just as the ball reached the down position and the 'happy new year' sign came on. I watched for a few more minutes, shut off the TV, and slept.

I eventually made it to bed. This morning I tried to get up around 9 but just felt sluggish. I guess the night before last's insomnia has really caught up with me.

Someone from work called me at 9:30 to see if I could come in at 2 instead of 3:30 this afternoon. Fine, it's not like I'm getting anything done, anyway. So I'm working 2-10 tonight and 8-4 tomorrow morning and I'll be lucky if I can get the notes finished on time.

So I'm starting off the new year a little annoyed with myself. Oh, well. I'll get it all done, even if I have to stay up tonight.

Happy New Year, though.

No comments: