Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Saturday, February 14, 2009

Well, phooey

I went to feed the fish tonight and apparently I lost a fish (two days after the guarantee was up). But the rest are doing alright. One platy seemed weaker the whole time; I think it was this one. I'll check with Brenda and see if she can bring me some more fish. The algae's a big problem; it's covered everything. I hate to use an algaecide; the pleco eats algae. Perhaps I can get one or two of those little silver algae eaters later in the month when I have more money. For now, it's hard to see the fish. The pleco especially blends in.

PS Actually, I finally found the pleco. He was belly up, too. It was tangled in what little Java moss I still have in the tank, but it may or may not have been an issue. Something is apparently wrong with the tank, so I'll hold off on fish from Brenda and wait to see what happens to the others. I'll get some algaecide as soon as I can; maybe the ammonia/nitrates went back up after the fish were introduced. That can cause an algae bloom. I don't have any more of my test strips, but the algae does seem a little worse. I'll go ahead and put in the monthly treatment of bacteria just to be on the safe side.

Sigh. I used to be so much better at this. Am I just out of practice?

No comments: