Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Not particularly looking forward

to working 10 am-9 pm tonight. Oh, it could be till 10 pm, like on Monday night. But even though I got almost eight hours' sleep last night, I feel tired, still hung over from going to bed at 4 am the night before. And the roads were pretty bad last night (we had about 3 more inches of snow, and the temperature was around 10 degrees, so salt didn't do much and even the main arteries were pretty snow covered). I slid any time I was not absolutely driving at maximum attention with hands at 10 and 2. I can drive in snow pretty well but I don't really like to, and I have to admit my anxiety levels have been higher with the ice and snow. And now I get to do the whole thing again. Hopefully it's a little better since the ploughs have had time to get ahead of the snow, but it's only 9 degrees now. I'm so glad I don't live any further north. These arctic blasts are enough for me.

Given the ice storm and snow, I found this quote from Obama's inaugural speech comforting: 'With hope and virtue, let us brave once more the icy currents, and endure what storms may come.' One of the librarians on the MEDLIB-L list had it on her signature line and it seemed appropriate given Kentucky's problems over the last week or so.

Okay, I have to get ready for work.

PS In retrospect, I realise I am whigning, and that it should not be indulged. And working 11 or 12 hours a day is better than no job at all. And the streets weren't bad later on at all. I think I'm still just very tired from staying up too late the other night and I'm having a giant 5-year-old moment. Sorry. :)

No comments: