Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Friday, February 20, 2009

I so lucked out yesterday

The last several days my car has made an alarming thumping noise from the rear passenger side. Since I am terribly broke at the moment, having chosen rent and electricity over anything else, I was concerned that it would be expensive and/or dangerous. Fortunately I have a good repair shop and I called them to ask how much it would be for them to take a look at it, maybe test drive and listen to it. They said just to bring it on in and they'd be happy to look at it.

Well, I took it in yesterday and the mechanic and I took an interesting test drive, swerving back and forth down Industry Road. It could have been the bearings needing to be repacked, but he wanted to check something first. So he jacked it up and tested the wheel and it was a little loose. He tightened up all the wheels with a power driver and put air in the tyres as well. Then we went for a second drive and everything was fine.

No one's worked on my car since August (them, actually) and it's unlikely that it was left over from that since it was so many months ago. He said it might have been someone trying to take the tyre, with the oeconomy so bad. Anyway, it's fixed and they didn't charge me anything.

If you live here in Lexington, Mitch's Auto Repair is a great place to go. They don't gouge and don't 'find' other things wrong with the car that don't need to be fixed. When they fixed my brakes they also threw in plugging a tyre and fixing the door liner, which kept falling off. Plus they're very friendly. I highly recommend them. I'm so glad it wasn't costly and that they went ahead and looked at it right there on the spot. It rather sounded like the wheel was ready to come off and apparently I was right, or at least it was on its way. Here's their address:

Mitch's Auto Repair
1253 Industry Road Suite 120
Lexington, KY 40505
Phone number: (859) 254-6398


If you need to get your car repaired, they're a great place to go.

PS My car passed a milestone the other day--260,000 miles. :)

No comments: