Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Tuesday, June 17, 2003

Wisdom from Action League Now!



Master Poo: Remember, the butterfly does not need wings to fly.
Stinky Diver: Wait. Yes it does!
Master Poo: You know what I mean!

I have become a closet fan of this show. It features plastic superheroes in the grand tradition of the games we played when I was a kid--when a Barbie doll was off saving another planet, for example. Or the stuff we did with Star Wars characters. When I was 10 only a couple of the kids in the neighbourhood had actually seen Star Wars (and I got the garbled version--I had one friend who insisted Luke and Leia got married at the end, which if you were to think so, wouldn't it be Luke and Han being married? I guess it was Leia's white dress that threw her off)--but we were all playing with the figures. Anywhere, where else can you find a wickedly funny children's show (as much as any modern cartoons are really for kids) that has a superhero like The Flesh ('he's really big, and really naked')? It's like traipsing back in time.

No comments: