Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Tuesday, June 24, 2003

I feel rather demented...



I just finished HP 5 and I must say, I rather feel like a bunch of dementors were sicced on me. No joy. No hurrah for surviving yet another battle with evil. As most of you know (since I don't see how you could have escaped the hype), one of the main characters in this book dies. JK Rowling is said to have sobbed just writing it. I bawled at the end of the fourth book with its death. This left me...empty, numb, rather like I really feel when someone close to me really dies. I only bawl when it's fiction, right? Well, I guess it hit me on a deeper level, and with the lack of a body (and that's all I'll say about it), there's no closure.

I handed the book back to the woman who loaned it to me and reached in for a jar of leftover Easter chocolate. That did make it a little better, I must say. Ironic, hmmm?

I'm not sure if I can stand waiting and absorbing two more books. I must say she has a real talent for capturing the angst of adolescence without overdoing it, and just how more complicated life gets as you get older. And she certainly gave practically everyone a chance at biting it along the way. So much so that when it happened, I had to blink and re-read it just to be sure.

Brava. I'm going to take a nap and see if happier dreams can break my mood.

No comments: