With thanks to Fred King, who forwarded this yesterday to the MEDLIB-L list from the USAID list:
World Toilet Day
Today, 1 in 3 of the world's 7.4 billion people do not have access to a toilet. In recognition of World Toilet Day, tomorrow, we call attention to what a significant issue this is around the world. A lack of toilets in health facilities and at home is a major cause of illness and poor health outcomes, including diarrhea. Women and children are affected disproportionately by inadequate access to sanitation services. Without adequate access to them, women and girls are liable to miss school or work during menstruation or may be put at an increased risk of sexual assault. Investments in sanitation can help prevent childhood diarrhea, which is a major cause of under-5 mortality.
The U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) and its partners work to save lives and advance development through improvements in sanitation access and use. USAID invests in sustainable sanitation improvements for schools, health centers, hospitals, and households to enhance public health and unleash greater economic potential in partner communities around the world.
Since Fiscal Year 2014, USAID and its partners have helped 4.3 million people gain access to improved sanitation.
* Learn more about USAID's water, sanitation, and hygiene efforts. https://www.usaid.gov/what-we-do/global-health/maternal-and-child-health/technical-areas/water-sanitation-hygiene-wash
* Listen to a podcast by Cheryl Hicks on World Toilet Day 2016. (and)
* Read about our new partnership with Toilet Board Coalition. https://medium.com/usaid-global-waters/world-toilet-day-2016-usaid-announces-partnership-with-toilet-board-coalition-a57c38f48994#.ffpr1i2co
* Read our Response to the Global Sanitation Challenge: More Than Just Toilets [PDF, 523KB]. https://www.usaid.gov/sites/default/files/documents/1865/E3-1SanitationReport_FY15.pdf
* Read DefeatDD's 2017 poo haiku winners. http://www.defeatdd.org/blog/defeatdd%E2%80%99s-2017-poo-haiku-calendar-poo-ets