Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Thursday, March 21, 2013

Look what I got today

What do you get someone who loves fantasy and dead languages?



HOBBITVS ILLE (The Hobbit, by JRR Tolkien, translated into Latin by Mark Walker) and HARRIUS POTTER ET PHILOSOPHI LAPIS (Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, by JK Rowling, translated into Latin by Peter Needham). The faceplate of the train engine on the cover of the later says: 'Hamaxostichus rapidus Hogvartensis'. :) The Chamber of Secrets (CAMERA SECRETORUM) has also been translated. I haven't found it for any of the others in the series, although an ancient Greek translation of the first book is available from various booksellers for a much bigger price. :)

I got them because they're fun, because I do read Latin, both Classical and Mediaeval, and because my Latin is getting a bit rusty from disuse. So, hopefully these will help. I already had WINNIE ILLE PU (Winnie the Pooh and QUOMODO INVIDIOSULUS NOMINE GRINCHUS CHRISTI NATALEM ABROGAVERIT (How the Grinch Stole Christmas (the latter translated by a couple of my professors at the University of Kentucky).

No comments: