Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Monday, March 04, 2013

Who on earth ever thought those accordion-style closet doors were a good thing?

And why did they put them in just about every residential building built in the 1970s? It seems to me that I've been fighting to keep them on track my whole life. I just spent several minutes fighting to get my bathroom one back on track after a bunch of toilet tissue fell off the top shelf and on to it. (I'm short, and was having trouble getting the tissue back up without incident.) Usually they come off on one side or the other. This time it was both, and simply from admittedly several rolls of paper with hollow centres hitting it. It was much harder to put back than it was to get off track. But I suppose that's the way of life.

Part of the problem was that I only was half-awake. I went back to the bedroom to take a nap earlier, because I was tired after working and am still on the last stages of my cold, but couldn't really relax. My back and abdomen are both hurting, and suddenly I put that together with some other symptoms and realised I most likely have a urinary tract infection, so I need to see about getting in to the doctor this week. I feel like an idiot for not putting two and two together sooner. Granted, I may be wrong, but I'd say there's an 85% chance I'm right. I did finally manage to relax enough to sleep for awhile, but I thought I'd get up for awhile. Then the dreaded TP in the closet incident happened.

One good thing is that I weighed myself today and I am almost seven pounds under what I was a week ago, and twelve pounds under what I was at midweek (my period factors into that, but still I lost actual poundage, not just water weight). I'm now the lowest I've been in a good long while, even lower by a pound than I was right after the ankle injury. Yay! Now if I can just keep going down rather than up. I've been precariously within a few ounces of my highest weight this week as well.

Gamers, I hope you remembered that today, in honour of Gary Gygax (a co-creator of Dungeons & Dragons, who died on this date five years ago), is National Game Master's Day. I did. My game master got an Amazon gift card with which he can get a book. I used to give him certificates to our local gaming store, the Rusty Scabbard, but they haven't been as great about ordering the material he follows as they used to be, and special orders have often gone by the wayside since Eric left. So I think he's given up and gone to Amazon. See, it's not always that they're bigger. A lot of it has to do with timeliness and customer service. But in general I would urge you to support your local independent gaming shop if you have one. And by that I mean a place that has roleplaying books and tabletop games, not a Game Stop or similar thing. :)

I found out from Twitter that several of the Schoolhouse Rock (which I have all of on VHS--I'm such a grammar/history/math/science geek) and Bill Nye the Science Guy clips, among other things, were up under Disney Education's channel. I found this gem, which is neither, but will have special significance to a couple of friends of mine. It explains the origin of blue oxen. :)



Thanks to Mignon Fogerty (@GrammarGirl on Twitter), whose re-tweet of a link to 'Conjunction Junction' got me there.

No comments: