Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Friday, March 08, 2013

Trying to do better, and it was working--at least today

Last night before I went to bed I downloaded a book on diabetes from the Kindle Lending Library, purchased three others for the Kindle (one on exchanges, one on carbohydrate counting, and one general text I'd checked out at the library that's really good), and then today checked out yet another to the Kindle from the Lexington Public Library. I really want to get a handle on my diabetes.

I was looking for a food diary that would let me put in specific foods (I had a more generalised one), and the Spark People one is now a paid-for application without good reviews, and besides, doing anything on SparkPeople.com means ads, ads, and more ads. Fit Day works well online, but I didn't see a mobile application. Then I found (from the comments comparing and reviewing it with Spark People) an application called My Fitness Pal, which has both an online and mobile presence, allows for social stuff, but doesn't inundate you like Spark People does. It has a large database of foods and you can scan pre-packaged foods with UPCs easily. The only thing I ate today that was like that was some Oikos Greek yoghurt, but it worked like a charm. I wound up under my goal caloric intake but not terribly so, got most of my nutrients (was a little short on Vitamin A, but I do take a multivitamin as well). I did have a fairly high cholesterol because I ate two eggs today. On the other hand, it's not like I'm eating fatty meat, either. The application has a fitness log as well. I have a separate application for my blood sugar, insulin, hA1c, etc., called On Track.

The result, along with taking my insulin faithfully, was that my blood sugars were much better than yesterday. Much better. So, I just have to keep it up, right? I was also able to get the replacement insulin from the pharmacy. Yay!

No comments: