Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

I had a very odd thing happen tonight

As a customer pulled out his money, something went flying over the counter, landing behind me. Without thinking I retrieved it and handed it back.

Then it hit me.

It was a small baggie full of large opaque white crystals. I don't know what kind of drug it was, but I basically handled something highly illegal, which rather bothers me. I don't know if there was any better way to handle the situation (really, withholding it and threatening to call the police might have agitated him, and where there are drugs there are often guns). I'm thinking it was his own personal stash as a user, not a dealer, unless there were lots of little baggies in his pocket, and he didn't pull out wads of cash like I sometimes see. But still. It was unnerving, to say the list. I've never so much as held marijuana in my hands, much less something like meth or crack. (I'm not sure which it was. Is meth white?) The only drug I've done in my life was legal at the time (I tried amyl nitrate, also known as 'poppers' when I was dating my ex). [I don't think it's legal anymore, but really, I'm not sure.] Anyway, so I am not wise in the ways of the drug culture. It makes me feel both good to be that naïve in some ways, but also makes me feel like I'm a little squeaky clean Gidget type, ready to be exploited by the world. (Yes, I know, I'm not really squeaky clean/totally naïve, but you get the idea.) Anyway, it made me feel weird to say the least.

How would you have handled it?

No comments: