Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Thursday, January 07, 2010

I feel as if I'll never be warm again...

I really don't mean to turn this blog into a 'gee it's cold' forum, but gee, it's cold! 12 degrees Fahrenheit right now with a windchill of -4 and I just walked home from the bus stop shivering the whole way. All told I spent five hours (not counting going to or coming from work) out in this mess today running errands, mainly for a friend but some for myself as well. This involved hopping on buses and walking all up and down Richmond Road--I went to Kroger, Lowe's, and Walgreens, then went over to my friend's house and did a few things for him, and then came home. I only slipped once, just as I was crossing my apartment complex.

I'd say we have three to four inches on the ground, with decent wind (17 mph currently) and drifts. It's still snowing, and it's too cold for salt to do much on the roads.

One problem I had was with the uneveness/shifting of snow, especially in drifts, my ankles would bend over and cause a lot of pain from the tendonitis. My feet are already sore from yesterday--they're worse now. In a little while I'm going to snuggle up with a blanket or two in the comfy chair. Thankfully my heat is plentiful. But when I first came in and called my friend to let him know I got home okay, it was the phone's warmth from charging in the cradle that welcomed me. I know--strange.

Anyway, hope you're warm wherever you are. I hope the homeless of Lexington are in a shelter--it's too cold for anyone to spend the night outside.

No comments: