Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Monday, January 04, 2010

Big ball in sky go down, temperatures plummet

Okay, it's not as bad as yesterday when I went to the bus stop early in the morning with -2 windchill. But it is really cold outside, even when you're bundled up, and the wind just goes through you. Have I ever mentioned that I'm a springtime/autumn kind of girl? I don't like very cold or very hot temperatures. Snow is pretty, of course, but it has its own issues.

Today I had a very productive day at the hospital, working completely through my to-do list. My new planner is much like my old one but more compact, at it includes space at the bottom of every day for a to-do list.

On my personal to-do list I had to call LifeScan about my blood glucose meter, which was giving an error and staying on, and no button would help. Taking the battery out and re-seating it brought it back to life. The nice thing is that if we had not been able to troubleshoot it into working, they would have sent me another one for free, which really says something about how they stand behind their product. I have one of the original One Touch Ultra Minis, so I was impressed that they would replace it even though I've had it quite a while.

I also activated my new flexible spending account card. I still have $177 on the old one, and I have until March to spend it; I think I did pretty well with it, all things considered. I'll use that first, obviously, but that's about three medicines. I elected a slightly smaller amount with the new account; last year was $3,000 (yes, I have that much in medical expenses, isn't that scary, and that's with good insurance). This new one is a little less, since I don't think I'll need more crowns (I had three put on in 2009). But I do need orthotics for my feet, they're not covered by my insurance, and they are $360. So it's time to make a call to the podiatrist. I was waiting for the new account to kick in so that I could pay for them. Here's hoping they'll solve the foot issues.

I got my new pants from Land's End (via Amazon) that I had ordered, paying partly for it with money my grandmother gave me for the holiday. They meet all the criteria for work: twill, Dockers style, belted, and black (khaki is also allowed, but subject to coffee spills and other stains). I guessed on the inseam being 26 and apparently was right. They have elastic in the back which is covered by the belt. They fit fine, which is good, as they were about $50 with the tax and shipping! Considering that the belt was also $30, and I need more pants now that I know they fit, I really wish I could talk to the corporate person who decided on this uniform policy about how difficult it is for larger women to find such pants. Even one of my co-workers, about my size, who gleaned several pairs from consignment shops and Goodwill, had a pant accident the other day, as a seam ripped down her leg, even though they fit her waist.

Okay, I guess that's enough for now. I'm going to try to watch tonight's two-hour 'Heroes' episode, although I have it set on DVR just in case I get sleepy. I need to do laundry, but I'm thinking about getting up early tomorrow and doing that. Now that I've warmed up I don't want to go back out in the cold. Of course, it'll be colder tomorrow morning, and we have more snow.

No comments: