Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Friday, February 03, 2017

I applied for the job

I decided to be proactive and apply even though it doesn't close until February 17th, so I don't feel rushed. I'm really excited about this one. I really hope they'll contact me. It would be a great opportunity. Several friends and family members have been very supportive on Facebook, and I appreciate that.

Today I had my second of two last job reviews before the end of my run at the hospital. I got very good ratings on each, and I get a raise, which while short-lived, will figure into the severance package. I've really been blessed with all of my bosses at Shriners--Judy, Kathy, Judy again, Martha, Kathy (another one), Robert, (and an honorary, part-time boss, Ambra). I really appreciate their encouragement, especially given the circumstances. I would have loved to work for Shriners for another twenty years (my anniversary is March 17th). But I believe this will lead to new directions. I'd like to stay in the non-profit world, if at all possible. I'll never be rich, but I'll make a difference. Of course, I'd love to stay in the library field, although if it comes down to the end of the job, I'm going to go have to look outside of it--I know that. Lexington's market is glutted with people with MSLS degrees. When I first rented this apartment, my leasing agent had one. And then there's the fact that there's just 56 days. That's all that's left. It makes me sad, of course, and I need to physically start breaking the library up next week, so it'll be even more so. But...things happen, you adapt, you go on. I'm glad I've had the opportunity to work there.

Okay. I know it's not late, but I think I'm going to read a little before bedtime. I tried to take a nap earlier, but kept getting phone calls, texts, and notifications. It's been a long day (I've been up since 5 am, but then, if I do get the job, that will be normal). I hope you have a very good night, and a great weekend.

No comments: