Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Saturday, October 31, 2015

Happy Halloween/Samhain!

I'm home a little later than I planned (I was hoping to start Library of Souls) because we watched The Abominable Doctor Phibes, a Vincent Price movie from 1971 that I saw in the late '70s in school. I've celebrated Halloween, but haven't really done so for Samhain yet. So I've lit incense and many candles and I'm listening to Loreena McKennitt. I have some wine for an offering that I'll give about midnight. All in all, even though this week was crazy and there was so much to do (and I'm still not caught up at work), it was a good week, with lots of Halloween fun, a friend's birthday, and now today having some rest and relaxation with friends. We are playing the game tomorrow, so that should be fun, too. The game notes were finished days ago, so I'm in good shape there. I can't believe it's almost November. The Chicago trip will be here before you know it.

Anyway, I hope you have a great holiday, and are having a completely decent weekend. It's a busy one here in Lexington--we had the Breeder's Cup at Keeneland yesterday and today, and American Pharaoh (see post for 2 November 2015 about the name American PHAROAH) completely nailed the Classic, which is to be his last start before retiring to stud. A and I watched it, and it was breathtaking. The horse at one point, once his lead was assured, seemed to be running just for the pure joy of doing so, rather than to win. I have some mixed feelings about horse racing, but it was still exhilarating to watch.

No comments: