Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Groggy

Listening to: '3 AM' by Matchbox Twenty from Exile on Mainstream

After work I went to Kroger and then walked home and just crashed, even though I planned to do laundry. (Hey, I did at least wake up early this morning and took the trash out.) So now I'm up and it's storming, so it's not the best time to wash clothes. I'll try to get up early again tomorrow and do it; if not, then tomorrow night will have to suffice. I need to stop by the library tomorrow, too, and turn in some books and a CD.

In an attempt to eat a little better, everything I got at the grocery store was healthy--mostly frozen vegetables, soy burgers and herbed soy chicken, and a frozen fish, rice, and broccoli dinner--things I can take to work since our choice of vegetables is, well, awful in the cafeteria and most of what's there is starchy. (Fresh vegetables tend to spoil in my house; I'm often not at home, hence the frozen steamers.) I also got some fruit and grain bars to replace my normal Pop Tarts. I didn't get any fruit only because I've got some fruit flies that I'm trying to destroy (yes, all life is sacred, but I have to draw the line somewhere) and I don't want to encourage them, although I've discovered fruit flies love bread, so I'm keeping mine in the refrigerator. I do have a little canned fruit, though.

My blood sugar's been high and I really don't want to go on insulin, although I have an appointment on September 1st, so I guess we'll discuss options then. I've cut back on sweets, but I've still been eating starches, which are really worse in some ways; at least a candy bar has fat to help keep the body from processing the sugar so quickly. Potatoes go straight to sugar pretty quickly, from what I've gleaned from a dietitian and reading. The dietitian is also diabetic; she said for her she had to go very low-carb, something she'd always discouraged clients to do, but even brown rice really did a number on her. Everyone's a little different. But diet, while important, isn't the only determining factor in diabetes, so she urged me to speak with my doctor.

I think I'll check the news, drink some water, feed the fish, and head to bed so I can get up early. I might post again if I see anything really good in my reader. Good night.

No comments: